Day of Design: 20 Years of Newspaper Design
The Standard (Kenya)
The Standard is one of the largest newspapers in Kenya with a 30 percent market share. It is the oldest newspaper in the country.
The newspaper was established as the African Standard in 1902 as a weekly. The Standard‘s founder, Alibhai Mulla Jeevanjee sold the paper to two British businessmen in 1905, who changed the name to the East African Standard. It became a daily paper and moved its headquarters from Mombasa to Nairobi in 1910. At the time the newspaper declared strongly colonialist viewpoints. The British-based Lonrho Group bought the newspaper in 1963, only a few months before Kenya’s independence.
The paper was sold to Kenyan investors in 1995. In 2004 the name was changed to The Standard. It is the main rival to Kenya’s largest newspaper, the Daily Nation. In 1989, at a time when Kenya was going into multi-party era, The Standard Group acquired the KTN Television Channel. Its current editorial director is award winning editor John Bundotich.
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopediaRead a 1993 design note from The Standard (Kenya)